Saturday, February 9, 2008

fred 08

Sorry I have been absent the last few days.  Our family is still working its way through the cold/flu.  Ella has it now, I am just getting over it and I'm afraid Bonnie is next.  A few prayers would be appreciated.

I saw a funny bumper sticker today.  The sticker was red and blue around the edges and oval (like the obx stickers maybe you've seen) and the center was silver with the words "Fred '08."  It took me a minute to even remember who the "Fred" was in the '08 election, so I googled it to jog my memory.  Fred Thompson.  Ah, that's right, wasn't he an actor?  It was funny to me that someone put that sticker on their car.  It wasn't even on the bumper, it was on the paint.  And I'm pretty sure that it was a sticker, not one of those magnetic things you can take off.  This guy is committed to "Fred '08."  Unfortunately Fred was done, way before this election even started.  

As I read through the gospel of Matthew I am often surprised at how many people were following Jesus.  I mean without TV or newspapers or even the internet, there were frequently thousands of people showing up to see Jesus.  I don't know how many people can fit in Indian River High School, but I'll bet Bill Clinton packed that place today, and he didn't even serve lunch.  I believe that Jesus was surrounded by thousands of people much of the time.  And these people were looking for a new candidate, a candidate of change.  Right?  They were sick of the old government (Rome) and high taxes, and oppression, so they wanted something else.  Jesus at least gave them lunch.  But I'll bet when Jesus was executed many of them were wondering, "How do I get this bumper sticker off my donkey?"  

So here's the thing, 2,000 years later I still see Jesus bumper stickers.  <><  I see them all the time.  And guess what, this candidate never goes out.     

No comments: